Monday, August 27, 2012

get involved...

Once upon a time, BYU's President Samuelson said, "Get involved during your time here at BYU." Shortly after, the president of the student association on campus said, "Take the time to get involved at the Y." Then, my mom said, "Go out and do some stuff besides school while you're here!" And then, one of my professors said, "Do things here that will help you learn from others, meet new people, gain greater perspective, and enrich your educational experience."

Well. With so many people telling me the same thing, how could I refuse? I sure tried to refuse. Who in their right minds would want to go out and get involved? That takes time! It requires meeting people...and talking to them! Then suddenly, all of these different, new things caught my eye. Random things, too.

Like the American Studies Student Council -- I'm in the program, so why not go to the meeting on Thursday and check it out? Or babysitting for a professor in the English department -- why not? They'll be paying me, and their kids are adorable. Gee, how about checking the audition board just for kicks while walking around campus between classes (I had three hours to kill today). Oh, they're doing Songs for A New World this fall? Huh. Why not try out? I'm free that night.

All of the sudden I've got so many things I'm looking into and trying for -- I'm a bit freaked out. I kind of forgot that little thing called time. Not to mention work. And homework (oh, homework). And housework. And, you know. Maybe eating food.

My head hurts. It really, really hurts. I keep looking at my schedule (ugh) and just wondering how I'm going to get everything done. But do I stop? No. I just add some more right on top of it! I shouldn't worry about things yet though. I mean, sure. Try out, go to the meeting and see how it goes, but if I don't make those things, then I don't have anything to worry about. It's if I actually make it that could be a potential problem -- if I don't make it, it's not a part of my life anyway.

Don't sign up for things on the first day of school when you're bored, because once school gets underway, you won't be bored for long.

No comments: