Saturday, January 8, 2011

every single second...

Have you ever wondered what is happening at a certain second in another place? Ever since I was very young, I have always been aware of the fact that at every second during every day, somewhere in the world, someone is being born. Someone is dying. Someone is jumping up and down with joy. Someone is caving in to sadness.

Something is happening every second. A snowflake is falling. A flower is opening. A sunbeam is dancing through a window. A star is shooting across the sky.

Somewhere, someone is typing, just like I am. Somewhere, someone is thinking about how much bigger the world is than he or she is, just like I am. Somewhere, someone is more similar to me than I will ever know. Somewhere, we are the same.

Every single second things are happening. Things are beginning. Things are ending. Things are continuing just as they always have, with no interruptions in the daily routine. And somewhere, lives are being turned upside down.

It's a simple concept, that of "every single second". At the same time, it is so very huge and mind boggling that I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. It's all the same time. A moment. A second. A minute. An hour. A day. A week. A month. A year. A decade. A century. A millenia. All time is the same for everyone. Similar, and different, experiences happening in the same second.

And we will never know who it is that we shared that time with.

2 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

Somewhere, we are the same.

I like this the most. I wish this were universally accepted. What a better world we'd live in.

Your mind - how you have awaken in the last few years. What a joy it is to see you grow.

Hope school is going well. I'm smiling right now imagining what life might be life. I'm remembering the freedom I experienced in self when I went away to University. There are so many doors for your life, for your next second, one you don't even see. The joy is, there are still that many doors for me, even now.

xo
erin

Sarah Anne said...

You help me hope, my friend. Thank you.