Monday, July 30, 2012

biscuits...

I found a recipe on a blog that I've been wanting to try for awhile. Seeing as it's my turn to take a treat to work tomorrow, I decided to try my hand at it.

I've never made biscuits before. That being said, the buttery little beauties that I pulled out of my oven were surprisingly delectable. I've had to stop my sisters from eating all of them so that I can share some for Tasty Tuesday (I know, I know -- English majors are so creative).

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 scant teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons butter (yes, 5 -- but I think I might use a little less next time)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
 
Heat oven to 450. Mix together all of the dry ingredients. Cut the butter into bits, picking up the dry ingredients and rubbing the butter between your fingers. Make sure all the butter is thoroughly blended into the flour. Stir in the yogurt until the mixture forms a ball. Turn the ball onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 10 times (or 20 -- I lost count). Dough should be slightly sticky (they bake fluffier if the dough is a little stickier).

Press the dough into a 3/4 inch-thick rectangle (or if you're like me, you'll make a circle) and cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter (unless you're like me and didn't even know such a thing exists, so I used a glass cup instead). Place rounds on ungreased baking sheet. Reshape leftover dough and cut again. Bake for 7-9 minutes (7 is better than 9, at least in my oven) or until golden brown. Serve with butter and jam (strawberry is particularly good).

2 comments:

Q said...

Pro tip: when you cut biscuits out, DON'T turn the cutter. Push straight down, and pull back up. It helps them raise better.

Sarah Anne said...

I didn't even know you could turn the cutter. I just went straight up and down. Yay! :)