Tuesday, August 16, 2011

day 86...

a picture of somewhere I've been...


Odd fact about me: I love cemeteries. Once I suggested a road trip from the north end of the county to the southern end, stopping at all of the small town cemeteries. My sisters thought I was crazy and went back to planning a trip to Lagoon.

A cemetery, to me, is a place of both sadness and joy. A cemetery is full of history and stories and memories, whether in a town with only a handful of plots, or near the nation's capitol with its hundreds of hundreds. In a way, a cemetery is full of life: full of life lived. One cemetery in particular stands out in my mind: Arlington National Cemetery, across the river from the Washington Monument in D.C. I often find myself wishing I could go back, to walk along the paths and remember. It's an incredible place. The miles of white stone, etched with names and dates of people who lived the history we now study. The air still and respectful, filled with the silence of the sleeping heroes. You can walk for a whole hour without seeing a living soul, yet you cannot take a step without feeling the presence of many.

Arlington is one of my favorite places in the world (that I've seen so far). I hope to go back someday, for it truly is a spectacular place.

No comments: