Thursday, September 22, 2011

"The Help"...

I love to watch movies. It's an escape for a couple of hours, a time to relax and expend less brain power than I would being asleep. Or so it feels at times. Getting wrapped up in a story, meeting new characters, visiting places I've never been (and may never go, especially if it's Valhalla or Hogwarts or Naboo). It takes my mind off of things. Like tonight, exhausted and sick (again). My mom had to watch a movie for one of her classes at the college. At 10:00 she came down to tell me good night, but then she told me to grab my shoes and come along.

We went to see "The Help", a movie about African American women who worked as maids in the homes of Caucasian families. Talk about a roller coaster. Half the time I was on the edge of my seat anticipating some horrible disaster (which happened, but wasn't graphic like I was expecting it to be...), and the other half I was either silently fuming or slightly smiling.

People are so interesting. How they start out as children, who generally speaking are neither spiteful or vindictive. It's fascinating to think about, why people end up the way they are in their teens or 20's or 60's. How they get there, why they get there. Truly fascinating.

I love doing stuff with my mom late at night. It's pretty much the only time we ever get to do anything, with her being so busy with school. It's fun for it to be just the two of us. That doesn't happen very much, and I'm realizing that this will probably be the case a lot in the future. So thanks, mom, for letting me help you do your homework. Let's do it again sometime. :)

No comments: