Sunday, May 31, 2009

reading worlds...

For the first time in a very long, long, long time, I have been able to sit down and read without interruption and without guilt. Do you have any idea how nice it is to be able to escape from my own world into someone else's? It's even nicer when the threat of late homework assignments is absent.

So, from now on this summer I will write out a list at the end of each month of the books that I read, starting today. The lists will be called "Reading Worlds" because that's sort of how I look at entering a book. It will be short this month, because I've only been able to read for about three days, but it still counts. Here goes:

1. The Well of Ascension, Brandon Sanderson
I really enjoyed this. The second installment of the Mistborn trilogy, I can't wait to read the third one. Which is on hold at the library right as I type. *squee*

2. Beastly, Alex Flinn
My favorite thing about this book was watching the main character go from boy to beast to man, not only in shape but in maturity. I also loved all of the imagery with the roses.

3. Anahita's Woven Riddle, Meghan Nuttal Sayres
I was intrigued to read this because of the beautiful cover (not the one seen on the Goodreads website). I picked it up to see what magic was contained inside its pages and I wasn't disappointed. Anahita is a strong young girl, and I rooted for her the whole time.

4. Daughter of War, Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch
Why have I never heard of this before? Daughter of War is based on true accounts of individuals living through the Armenian genocide in Turkey during WWI. I was angered to read this and have it be my first exposure to the events. I have never heard of it before in a history class, and clearly I should have. I was not, however, angered because of the quality of the book. It was well written, with endearing characters and shone a true light on the atrocities of human hatred without being overly graphic.

5. The Dream-Maker's Magic, Sharon Shinn
It wasn't until after I read this book that I learned it is part of a series. You couldn't tell-it completely stands on its own. Good read, lovely characters, and full of happiness (at the end, at least).

6. Princess Ben, Catherine Gilbert Murdock
Great until the end. I thought it happened too fast and didn't fit well with the rest of the book. I would have liked to see more development before the climax and denoument. The beginning and middle were awesome, and then it just sort of died. *sigh* Still, I liked it.

7. Schooled, Gordan Korman
I'm not a hippie kid, but I sympathize with Cap. I've been homeschooled at least part time for my entire life, and I'm rather naive when it comes to the world around me (if you hadn't noticed). Excellent read-can't wait to get a hold of it again.

There you have it, folks. My first list of Reading Worlds. I read more in three days than I did in almost the entire second semester of the school year. Pathetic (I am justified-homework takes priority [sadly]). Next month's list should be longer (I hope). Tonight I start The Last Battle of the Icemark, but I won't count that until the end of June. Also, when I read books that I don't like, they'll be placed before the ones I liked in a seperate list. To be honest though, I haven't read a book I didn't like in a very long time.

I love reading worlds. I really do. Ta!

3 comments:

Q said...

Brandon Sanderson = <3

Char said...

I really get disappointed in a book when they spend too much time on the middle and rush the end. I want to enjoy the ending as much as the rest of the book.

spider said...

Summer just allows so much more time for the important things in life.

I haven't read any of those, but several of them look good.