Saturday, December 31, 2011

flying time...

Time is a strange thing. One day it's Monday, and suddenly it's Friday and you don't know what happened to the days in between. They just sort of flew by in a rush of responsibilities and errands and all sorts of "Things to be Done". What is time, really? Time well spent. Time wasted. Time to get up. Time to go. Time to start. Time to stop. Time, time, time. We live in it. Ruled by it, in some cases.

The passing of time is such an incredible phenomenon. No matter what bounds we may try to set, it moves forward unchecked. We humans are so ruled by our descriptions and categorizations of time--seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years--yet we can never hope to be the masters of it. Time is a completely unlimited thing, with no boundaries or controls to be found. It seems to be God's area of expertise. Strangely and funnily enough, there is no time to God. At least, not in a way that is easily comprehensible, for who can fully grasp the concept of eternity?

Perhaps time, as we understand it, is merely an abstract definition given to us mortals until we can gain a full comprehension of true time, or time that isn't calculated by days and minutes. At the very least, I am grateful for it, because it keeps me from going insane trying to unravel another mystery that I cannot solve.

It is said that you can never have too much time. I have too much. Too much time to think! There you have it.

1 comment:

Sierra @ Sierra's View said...

The fact that you and I THINK so deeply about time means we spend so much TIME thinking. Haha. Ita true though. Yesterday was Christmas, I thought. Now it's already new years? I have noticed that time goes faster and faster the older I get. And I don't like it!