Friday, October 8, 2010

kids, don't try this at home...

I have taken the definition of "experimentation" to a whole new level.


You may be asking, "What the heck did you do, Georgie?"


OH, I will tell you what I did.


DRUGS


Let me explain:
For the past couple of weeks, I've been gradually getting very sick. And today, I woke up unable to turn my head because my throat was so swollen. So I finally did what I should have done earlier in the week: I went to the doctor. He told me I have a viral infection and I also have the potential to develop something similar to my sister. Which means that if left untreated, I could land in the hospital with her. Now, I love my sister and all, but my room sharing days ended when I was eight, so I'm rather inclined to keep riding solo when it comes to sharing space. SO I decided to take the doc's advice and med up.


Un problemo: the antibiotic he prescribed is in the same family as a medication I had an allergic reaction to when I was little. However, that was nearly two decades ago (I'm pushing my age because I can), so doctor, mother, and myself decided to take the risk because
  1. The antibiotics are different enough that "she should be fine"
  2. This particular antibiotic really kicks my particular problem in the butt, and the faster its butt gets kicked the better off I'll be
  3. I really didn't want to end up in the hospital so I wanted that kick quick

Here's what we decided to do: I was to get the medicine at the pharmacy and go visit my sister at the hospital. After arriving, I was to take the medicine and wait to see if I had an allergic reaction. If said reaction occurred (no matter how I spell this word it looks wrong, so I'm leaving it), I was to inform a nurse and get treated right away. If said reaction never happened, I was to go home and rest.

This is where the term "experimentation" gets taken to a new level. I did as the doctor instructed. I, however, had an advantage: I was not trying this at home. There was a fully trained medical staff just outside the door. Granted they had no idea what was going on, but in my mind it was good. And it made me feel super dangerous. Insert sniggering here.

I took the drugs. And guess what? Nothing. Happened. Which is why I'm sitting at home in the office writing of my drug adventure right at this moment.

We can now officially declare that the question: "will she have an allergic reaction" gets a negatory. The hypothesis: "she'll be fine due to the nearly two decade time lapse" gets a thumbs up.

Myth busted.

(that doesn't really work...I've just always wanted to say that.)

1 comment:

Q said...

I'm allergic to sulfa antibiotics, but not very badly. The one time I've taken them I just broke out in hives after eight and a half days of treatment--they weren't even itchy.