Thursday, July 23, 2009

panic...

my heart is a sparrow;
wings beat against
their cage of bone.
faster against the curves,
but still it's never flown.

I think I was close to a nervous collapse today as I was driving to the library. I could hardly breathe, except in small gasps. My whole body was shaking and I couldn't stop it, and the road seemed to be moving in front of me. I was crying; I don't know why. I've never been more grateful to find a parking space close to the building.

What is the deal?

2 comments:

Nicole Woolf said...

I really like your poem and you are a great writer! I love the description of yourself "There was a little girl with a little curl" (I forget the exact wording). I also love the name of your blog.

Panic attacks can be weird and scary - I can totally relate! I hope all is well. There are a number of exercises you can do to help, like breathing exercises and imagery.

Q said...

Good grief! Why didn't you pull over immediately? You could have gotten hurt!