Friday, July 31, 2009

Reading Worlds...

Seeing as I can't sleep, I'm just going to do it now so I don't have to worry about it later. Phooee.

Two Stars and Lower:

1. Coraline-Neil Gaiman
I was thoroughly disappointed in this book. I thought it was boring, especially after all of the good things I heard about it. I will never read this book again.

Three Stars and Higher:

1. The Shakeress-Kimberely Heuston
I thought this was an interesting book. I really liked it a lot. It tells the story of a girl and her siblings who go to live with the Shakers. When she grows older, she realizes she doesn't like that life, so she leaves to make her way in the world as a doctor/healer. She comes across a new faith and has to decide between love and what she feels is right. Very good read.

2. Dante's Daughter-Kimberely Heuston
About the daughter of the poet, Dante, it paints her as an artist and very clever. I liked this a lot.

3. Climbing the Stairs-Padma Venkatraman
The author should get an award for her last name, seriously. The book was just as good; when a girl's father is horribly injured, she and her family must go to live with her father's father. The traditions of India are strictly enforced, and she has to find a way to keep living despite the changes.

4. The City of Ember-Jeanne DuPrau
Some people hated this, but I actually liked it. I thought it was clever and I can't wait to read the next one, which is sitting on my shelf waiting it's turn for August.

5. Little Sister-Kara Dalkey
This has been added to my favorites list. Mitsuko begins a quest to find her sister Amaiko's soul after a tragic loss. She faces demons, devils, and even gods to set things right. I loved, loved, loved this book.

6. The Heavenward Path-Kara Dalkey
The sequel to Little Sister. It wasn't quite as good, but I still loved it.

7. Shift-Jennifer Bradbury
When a boy tries to escape his father, his friend is blamed for it. This was well-written, and if you can get passed the few swears slipped in, it's great.

8. Peeled-Joan Bauer
The pen is definitely mightier than the sword. A high school paper reporter sets out with her friends to stop the town paper from making a mountain out of a molehill, and save the town in the process.

9. A Great and Terrible Beauty-Libba Bray
Okay, this wasn't as great as it was cracked up to be, but I still enjoyed it and want to read the next one.

10. Summer of Pearls-Mike Blakely
Interesting read, about the pearl rushes along the coast of the United States.

11. The Dead of Night-John Marsden
Second book in the Tomorrow series. Way good. I am so excited to read the third book.

12. Chanda's Wars-Allan Stratton
When a dream sends Chanda with her younger brother and sister to her mother's family, terrible things happen. But does good come of it? I'm not telling.

13. Fire and Hemlock-Dianna Wynne Jones
One of the weirdest books I have ever read. Ever. And I loved it. I still don't know what happened, so I'm going to have to read it again.

14. Castle in the Air-Dianna Wynne Jones
A sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, a young man sets out to rescue his princess and meets several more along the way.

15. Mira, Mirror-Mette Ivie Harrison
I was disappointed in this book as well, but it was still good. Just not my favorite.

16. The Thief-Meghan Whalen Turner
I really enjoyed this book, and I'm currently reading the second in the trilogy. A young thief is given a chance to escape prison if he can steal a certain mystical item. And, as he says, "I can steal anything." Loved it.

Only 17 this month. 10 less than last. Dang it. I must be getting busier.

3 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

You put my own reading to shame!

Q said...

I had to read Fire and Hemlock twice to understand it, too. Thanks for telling me Little Sister has a sequel! I loved that book, too.

Sarah Anne said...

Beth: Or perhaps I'm just lazy and spend my day in pajamas reading. :)

Q: I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get it the first time. It really was a queer book.