Monday, April 25, 2011

pain killers...

Do you ever have days (or weeks or months) where things just seem to hurt? Circumstances and experiences, memories, whatever, things just sometimes are really, really, really hard. It's part of life, pain. All types of it.

I have found some pain killers this weekend that work very well. Some of them are surprising, and others not so much, but each one has made things a little easier to deal with.

1. Doing math problems


I have no concrete reason for why this helps. By all rights I call myself crazy for including this. However, I have a theory: when I'm focused on computations and numbers, I don't have time to think about all of the things that are bothering me. I only have space in my head to calculate numbers and remember theorums and formulas. Those are problems I can solve. There is also an answer key so when I do get stuck, I can work through problems step by step until I can do it perfectly on my own.

2. Running through the rain
I've been praying for a really good storm to happen at a time that I could go out and play in it. Today, my prayer was answered. Yes, it didn't really rain today, but close enough. It hailed, a super big cloud burst of ice and freezing water that left puddles in seconds. I put on my shoes and ran out into the storm, my only goal to get totally soaked in as little time as possible (boy, did I get wet). There was something incredible about running as fast as I could through the ice, my hair blowing in my face and water soaking into my clothes and shoes. It was so cold, and I felt more alive than I have in a long time. Some of the ache seemed to wash away. Every time I purposefully splashed through a puddle, or tipped my head to the sky while twirling in circles in the road, I felt free.

3. Flowers
My parents gave me a bouquet of roses at my last concert with LDC. Emilyann brought me a bouquet of flowers yesterday for Easter, saying she knew I'd been really stressed and wanted me to know that she loves me. Her adorable little siblings came, too. They are the sweetest kids, just like their big sister. Flowers are beautiful. Here. I'll show you. The first picture is of the flowers from Emilyann. The second is the bouquet from my parents:



Need I say more about flowers? They say enough for themselves. :)

4. Puppies
My dog is adorable. She's not really a puppy anymore, but she's still a sweetheart. I love my little Misty.



5. Friends


Yes, sometimes friends create more pain than they are worth--or so it would seem. Something I've been trying to remember is that while some people may walk away, the Lord puts people in their place. During this whole adventure with Aries, I've found that my heart is full of more people than I ever could have imagined. I have so many incredible people in my life. They help me every day, whether through bringing flowers like Emilyann did, shooting me a text message to say hello, sitting by me so I'm not totally alone, letting me spend time with them and their families, or just saying hello while walking across campus and running into me...I have super awesome people to hang out with. From friends I made in high school to new ones in college, I am so blessed.





6. My Family
I'm not kind enough to my family. They put up with me anyway. I don't know why they do it. Even on the days when I'm super grumpy and unhappy, they still make an effort to show that they love me. It amazes me that they care so much. I don't know why they do. I'm grateful for them though, that they do keep me around and try to help, even when I don't think I want any help. I love them so much. They're wonderful.



I have cute sisters, don't I? They are probably two of my bestest friends in the world. Yeah, we fight, but these two are part of the few who know me well enough to get me to smile even when I am determined not to.





These are some of the natural pain killers I have found. They tend to work better than Ibuprofen or Tylenol (those make me nauseous anyway). I know that some days will be harder than others, no matter how hard I try to be happy and to recognize all of the good. Sometimes it's just hard. Still, I'm grateful for the little things, like rain and flowers and good times with good people. To me, those things aren't so little. They're huge, because they make all the difference in my life.

No comments: