Friday, April 15, 2011

tender mercies...

Today could have been really terrible. I don't know what the heck was wrong with me. Nothing should have been wrong, and nothing was wrong. I just felt all wrong--sick, tired, uncomfortable in my own skin, angry, alone, scared of everything, et cetera. As Ron Weasley would say, "How could someone feel all of that at once? They'd explode!" Well yes, Ronald dear. There were multiple water shows (not set to music or timed) throughout the afternoon, and in short it wasn't fun or pretty. There is nothing attractive about crying. Everything could have been a lot worse though. Starting from early this morning and continuing throughout the day I have seen so many good things. There have been dozens of tender mercies and little blessings that have helped me from completely losing control. In truth, they started last night. I'll list a few things that touched my heart and made me smile (or at least cry happy tears instead of sad ones).

  1. Last night I had the chance to see several of my friends who I haven't been able to visit for about a month. A shout out to Steven for inviting my sisters and me to his party and for the great time!

  2. Last night was also the first time I have ever had a problem with my car when I was the responsible person around AND the only driver...I have no knowledge of cars whatsoever. While I was with my friends, we noticed that there was steam coming out from under the hood. When we opened the car, we couldn't help but notice a steady stream of liquid coming from a gash in a large black tube. The radiator hose had sprung a leak, a clamp on the engine had come loose, and all of the radiator fluid was covering the ground (and my hands and shoes...it was hot and it hurt). Thank heavens, literally, that Taylor's dad was able to come help us. He used to be a mechanic, and he fixed my car. It was amazing: he went and bought new parts for the car, bought a gallon of radiator fluid, fixed the car, and wouldn't let me pay him back for it. He barely even let me thank him! I'm so grateful for his help.

  3. This morning wasn't cold! It was a little chilly, but warm enough that I could walk from the parking lot instead of waiting for the shuttle and enjoy the sunshine.

  4. I got to sing with LDC in the Institute devotional today. There was a very special feeling about that performance, and I was grateful to be able to participate and be a member of this choir. I'm so glad that I've had this chance; it's been such a blessing in my life.

  5. Not only did I get to sing with my friends, I got to have lunch with them, too! Brianna invited me to sit with her and then forced me to eat, for which I am grateful. Sometimes it's hard for me to eat when I'm around a lot of people. She knows that about me and won't let me get away with saying I'm not hungry. I love that girl, for so many reasons. She's been a miracle in my life many times this past year. I also got to talk with Erin for a little while, and Brady too. There are so many wonderful people in this choir, and some of them are becoming and have become my dearest friends.

  6. My Rapunzel charm bracelet came in the mail today!

  7. Another item came in the mail for me that I wasn't expecting: I received a letter from one of my missionary friends. It couldn't have come at a better time. The words he wrote changed some of my tears from those of sorrow and pain to hope and gratitude that he had taken the time to write to me, and because the message was exactly what I needed to hear today. "Bad can never endure when good is coming." Good is coming. It is always coming. The waiting and hoping for it is hard, but it will always come.

  8. I was able to visit my dear second family. I saw the kids and Sister Raddatz yesterday, and today I got to see all of the family except for Brother Raddatz. It was great to see Jason and Jordan; it's been a long time since I got to say hello to either of them in person. Jordan told me that he came to the LDC performance today because he didn't have classes. That made me feel really good, to know that I'd had a friend cheering me on in the audience.

  9. Three words: four hour nap.

  10. My family puts up with me and loves me even when I'm a nervous wreck, and they take care of me when I'm too tired, too unwilling, or too irrational to take care of myself. I love them so much.

  11. Mom took me on a date to the bookstore (after persuading me for half an hour to get out of my bed and go play with her), and because she is braver than I am she was able to talk to one of the cashiers and get me 50% off on a recipe book I wanted because the book has a rip on the cover. The other great part about it? The recipe book is a Hershey's dessert book. It's all about CHOCOLATE. And, because it was already on sale, mom's ability to get a second discount made the book only $3.00. How much better can you get?! Not to mention I was able to buy it with a gift card that I got two Christmases ago and lost...I found it last week. Perfect, no?

  12. She also bought me a Cookies n' Cream CreamKula at the coffee shop. They can make all of their drinks without coffee, so I didn't feel guilty at all about it. And I tried very hard to not remember the last time I was at the bookstore and had the same drink...I was on my first official date with the friend I wrote about a couple of days ago. Mom kept talking to me and telling me to forget about it and enjoy my drink. I did. :)

  13. We found a "Tangled" coloring book!! And since I still had money on my gift card...it was pretty much free for me. I can't wait to start coloring it in!

Bad really can't endure. Good things will always come. I saw that happen today. Yes, things hurt. Things are hard. There will always be pain and tears. That can't be helped. But good things can always make life a little easier, a lot happier, and full of love. Today, I am grateful for my family and my friends, and for the proof that Heavenly Father does love me and cares enough to show me.

1 comment:

Pinpaks said...

such a sweet post!

cherish these tender mercies.

thanks for sharing these with us.

I love that you love Rapunzel :)