Tuesday, June 30, 2009

reading worlds...

I'm back. Sorry. And I'm posting it under June 30th, because that's the last day of the month and all. All of the books I read in June. Hold on tight!

Two Stars and Lower...
1. Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, Jessica Day George
WAY too much like East. Not as well written and almost exactly the same type of plot. Besides, East came first by three years.

2. Anne Frank and Me, Cherie Bennett
This was too confusing to me. I never felt attached to the characters, and I didn't really care what happened to them.

Three Stars and Up...
1. The Last Battle of the Icemark, Stuart Hill
The last book in the Icemark Trilogy, it tells of the growing powers of Queen Thirrin's new enemies-her daughter and father-in-law (if you can call him that). I thought this one was really good.

2. The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre, Ann Rinaldi
Well written, well researched, and interesting characters. But of course! It's Ann Rinaldi, after all!

3. Airman, Eoin Colfer
I so want this to be made into a movie. It was fantastic, for reals.

4. The Gods and Their Machines, Oison McGann
This was a little bit weird at first, but I liked how they showed the differences in background and beliefs between the two warring societies. It showed how people don't think that their system is wrong because it has always been that way. The two clashing forces only clash because they think and live differently. No one starts out evil-we create it.

5-7. Everest: The Contest, The Climb, The Summit, Gordan Korman
The Contest was the weakest book in this trilogy, but I still give it three stars. I just didn't think that the characters were real enough. The Climb and The Summit were more believable and better written.

8-10. Island: Shipwreck, Survival, Escape, Gordan Korman
This trilogy as a whole was better than Everest, even though the situations were less likely to happen.

11. Tomorrow, When the War Began, John Marsden
I still do not understand what the title is trying to say and how it fits with the book, but it was really good anyway. Separated from their imprisoned families, a group of teenagers fight against the invading army while hiding in Hell.

12. Gideon the Cutpurse, Linda Buckley-Archer
Fun to read and fun to think about what you could change if you actually went back in time.

13. Fablehaven, Brandon Mull
I actually thought this was a lot of fun, and sometimes rather intense. My sister is rather like the troublesome brother in the story, and I'm always trying to keep her from breaking something or going where she shouldn't. People have said that this is a weird book, which it is, but it's a fun weird. A fweird, as my Homecoming group once said last year.

14. The Hero of Ages, Brandon Sanderson
I was slightly disappointed by the ending of the last book in the Mistborn trilogy. I know why it had to happen, and why those characters had to die, but still! It was bothersome and annoying. They work so hard and just get killed. It was for the plot of the story, I know. "They're not gods, just humans as tools in the hands of a higher power, so they can die." Makes sense. But it was still lame. Five stars!

15. How to be a (Bad) Birdwatcher, Simon Barnes
He swears too much. It doesn't make him sound intelligent at all, and was totally unnecessary. But the rest was funny.

16. Unwind, Neal Shusterman
I really, really, really, REALLY hope that we never figure out how to unwind people. It's just so wrong. I don't think that the Pro-Life and Pro-Choice campaigns would ever agree to this compromise, but still. You never know. Please don't let us get that bit of technological advancement. Amazingly creepy, so don't read it at night like I did. Especially the last five chapters.

17. Howl's Moving Castle, Dianna Wynne Jones
I can't believe I've never read this before. It was so fun, and now I want to watch the movie of it.

18. House of Many Ways, Dianna Wynne Jones
I was told that this was the sequel to #17 above, but I don't know. I think there's one somewhere in between it. Again, fun to read.

19. The Glass Harmonica, Louise Marley
I liked the main characters, the two girls. I think that they are actually related, but the author never says that. Just me, I guess.

20. The Faerie Path, Frewin Jones
Clever and imaginative. Sometimes I wish I were secretly a Faerie Princess and could kick butt. ;)

21. The Lost Queen, Frewin Jones
Second in this Faerie series, Tania goes to look for her lost mother. Conflicts arise between her Faerie life and her Mortal life, and soon she'll have to choose which one she wants more.

22. Summer of My German Solider, Bette Green
Why do they always have people die at the end? It's so annoying. Good read, and I would highly recommend it.

See? Much better this month. I actually read something. :)

3 comments:

Q said...

Castle in the Air is the sequel to Howl, I think. Those books are awesome. I <3 Howl.

The Hero of Ages was simply perfect, in my opinion. The planning of it all blew my mind.

Louise Marley said...

I just wanted to tell you you're right; not only are Erin and Eilish related, but all of the 18th century characters have analogs in the 21st century. In my mind, this is a case of reincarnation, a group of people working out old problems in a new life, but you don't have to think that to see the relationships!

I'll bet you didn't expect to hear from ME! But thanks so much for the mention.

Louise

Sarah Anne said...

OMGOSH!!! THANKS Louise!

Wow. That totally is the coolest thing ever.