Monday, January 5, 2009

when push comes to shove....

It started snowing today at about 1:15 a.m. I have been having an absolutely great day (for some odd reason. I just woke up this morning and said "Being sad is stupid. I'm sick of it. I'm going to be happy today.") and the snow just made it so much better. Although I did wear a short mini dress (it's knee length, girls, chill) with a dress coat over the top and sandals with cork heels. Yeah, smart. I looked cute though. Cute is more important to me right now. Besides, I canceled out the stupidity of my outfit by wearing a ski coat over the top. I was neither intelligent nor stupid. Just dressed.

So yeah. School started and I had a smile on my face. I have no idea why. And it gets even better than the outfit. Tony sort of forgot about Preference, which is in a week from Saturday. It was pretty funny. He also didn't stop staring at me at the start of class and told me that I looked "seriously, really, really nice." After school I went over to the gym with Coty and we did our workout. We had a sort of race, which I won, but only because she was in boots and I wasn't. :) I did change into sneakers before working out. I'm not completely stupid.

It was still snowing when we got finished. We dropped Coty off and headed home. A lady was stuck in the snow in her gigantic 12 seater van next to our house. Me, my mom, our neighbors the Olsens, my neighbor Austin, the lady, and her son all worked together to get it out of the snow. The lady had spun her tires so hard into the snow that it was stuck in sold ice halfway up the tire. Note, people-You do NOT spin your tires when you get stuck. Rock the car back and forth gently with your wheels straight. Giving the wheels more torque is just going to dig you in further. We finally got her out after using cardboard for traction (it shot back under the wheel and chopped me in the legs; good thing it was wet and soft) and spades to chop out the ice. The whole time I'm still in shorts and my white tennis shoes. I wasn't even cold.

On the way to work, mom and I got out of the car and helped some people near Rock Canyon Elementary School who were stuck in the parking lot. There were three or four cars stuck, two vans, a smaller car, and an SUV of all things. Mom and I got behind them and pushed them out. Amanda and Meghan helped until Meghan slipped (the snow was covering solid ice; I guess the lot had never been plowed during the previous storms) and knocked both of them down. Then I slipped and gashed open my knee on something. There weren't any rocks around, so I guess I hit a shard of ice or something. I didn't know ice could be that sharp. Oh, and the whole time I was still in shorts. :) And my little white Keds.

I got to work and didn't realize that my right knee was completely bruised and that my left knee was bleeding so much that the blood had flowed down my leg onto my sock. My coworkers were laughing at how little I noticed. It was no big deal to me. I got it helping people out of a tight spot (haha), and it makes me feel good.

I'm really glad those people got stuck. For selfish reasons, I wish more people would so that I could help push them out. ;)

No comments: